It doesn’t matter who you are, it seems like a common thread is that mornings are crazy. Now that we’ve hit the autumn, kids (and teachers) are back to school, adding to the flurry of excitement that is morning time.
We don’t always have time to make a full breakfast. With my husband in residency, he needs a good solid breakfast to get him started. It also needs to be fast. And healthy because I’d like to keep him forever.
Although people frequently slam McDonalds, their Egg McMuffin actually is a really decent breakfast. However, as a chain, their food uses who knows what ingredients to preserve their products. It’s also more expensive to purchase one than it is to make one!
However, it also takes some time. Time we do not have in our morning. So, I decided I’d create an egg sandwich that we could keep in the freezer and quickly warm up in the morning. In less than a minute, my sweetie has a wholesome complete breakfast.
You can just get your eggs, or even bake them. I wanted them approximately the size of an English muffin, so I used a greased cookie cutter in the pan to form my egg patties. I couldn’t find my circle shape anywhere, so Christmas ornament eggs it was! I also didn’t want to take the time to dirty up another bowl, so I just cracked the egg directly into the pan and stirred it briefly. You can alternatively mix your eggs ahead of time and pour them into a cookie cutter if you prefer!
Easy Egg McMuffins
Ingredients (yield 6)
Six English Muffins
Six slices of Cheese
12 slices of bacon (or 6 sausage patties)
- Coat a circle-shaped cookie cutter with Pam or butter. Place into warm pan.
- Crack egg into cookie cutter. Stir with fork until mixed. Cook on medium-high heat until set.
- Use heat-safe tongs to flip egg in cookie cutter. Cook egg throughout. When cooked, turn egg into wax paper.
- Repeat with remaining eggs, coating cookie cutter each time.
- While eggs are cooking, slice and toast English muffins until preferred doneness.
- In a separate pan (or in the microwave) cook bacon according to package directions.
- When all items are cooked, assemble sandwiches. Let cool to room temperature and wrap each in tin foil. Place in freezer-safe ziplock bag.
We like to take out our sandwiches the night before and then we need just 30 seconds to the perfect breakfast. Enjoy!