My dad recently came to visit our little family. I have never gone so long without seeing my dad before, so I was very excited to have him over. Growing up, my dad was the main chef in the family. I wanted to show him all the yummy things I had been making recently. I know that he absolutely LOVES lasagna, so I decided to give it a go.
I am not sure about where you are, but in August it gets mighty hot where I live! The idea of a lasagna cooking away in the oven seemed like a bad idea. So I turned to my favorite kitchen appliance-my crockpot. The idea of a lasagna cooking away all day without heating up my kitchen sounded GREAT! This would also allow me to take my dad to the zoo with Cupcake. She has recently become super interested in animals and I figured that’d be a heck of a lot more enjoyable than him watching me cook.
My dad is a great many things. He is brilliant, witty and always supportive. He also can be a bit particular. I was nervous to say the least. If he didn’t like it, I’d know. And then I’d be sad. Thankfully he LOVED it! He ate it and then started inquiring into how much we really wanted to have for leftovers. Cupcake devoured her portion. It was delicious and I am looking forward to making it again.
This recipe is very basic and simple. There aren’t a whole lot of veggies in it, but you could easily add a layer of that in! I am planning on making it later this week with a layer of sautéed spinach and onions. Yummy!
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
29 oz can of tomato sauce
8 oz uncooked lasagna noodles (I use the no-bake kind, but any kind works)
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1.5 cups cottage cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese for top layer
- Brown meat in a skillet and drain off fat
- Stir in tomato sauce and mix well
- Spread 1/4 meat sauce on bottom of crockpot
- Arrange 1/3 uncooked noodles over sauce (Break them to make them fit)
- Combine 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese with cottage cheese is a bowl. Spoon 1/3 cheese mixture over noodles.
- Repeat sauce-noodle-cheese layers twice.
- Top lasagna with remaining sauce. Cover with 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cook 4 hours over low. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.